-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Big Chill

"Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." The last few weeks have brought flooding to California, Snow and ice storms to Portland, and to Tacomaville, nothing. We had a few flakes and a light dusting that quickly melted.  However, we have had longer stretches of very cold weather than we've seen in many years.  Just cold, sometimes with wind and without a protective blanket of snow is no fun for people or plants.  There are still a few blooms outside but they're few and far between.  A gardener wonders.

Will the loropetalum survive?

Were these potted rhododendrons wet enough before they froze?  

Will this be the year that the potted Abutilon megapotamicum will need to be replaced?


Will this be another phormium killing winter?

Just how many buds will fall off of the Stachyurus praecox?

The old man and the "C" are stoic as ever.

With no magnolia leaves on the tree, Buddha is visible once again. 

did you notice the ice over the falling water?  There was a bit on the surface of the pond as well.  The fish wonder when it will warm up again.

"In the bleak midwinter, frosty winds made moan.  Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone."  You may notice the downed column in the lower left of the picture.  Don't know if it was strong wind, frost thrust or a combination.  Fortunately it didn't do too much damage. 

The artless big bucked of carnivorous plants don't look dead.  Yet.

Some things look pretty good despite the cold. 

Others don't look so hot. 

 Why is it that dragons don't breathe fire when you want them to? 

It's not over until it's over and cold temperatures are predicted again for the next couple of days. In a few months, we'll know what survived and what died opportunities for plant shopping have been created.   

14 comments:

  1. The old man and the C, what sense of humor you have and I guess you'll need a light touch of it when you survey all the damage come spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bad weather everywhere is not good for gardeners. We keep having swings between single digits and high 30s with rain, freezing rain and snow showers. My snow cover is very depleted and will disappear if it warms up. I don't usually mulch anything in the fall thinking the snow will take care of things. Hope I don't lose a lot of the new things planted last spring. It's always something. I am amazed at the size of that Rhodie you have in a pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pity poor Portland. I'm glad we got so little snow, but I really want just slightly warmer weather. I fear these temps without snow cover are just as bad for our gardens as all that snow and ice has been for Portland. I don't grow much that's really marginal any more, so I'm not that worried about mine. But I did want to actually get some work done out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am afraid it is gonna be a PKW, at least around here. How many do you have? I protected my one, we shall see. So you don't say how cold it's been. Inquiring minds ya know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning when I got up at about 7 a.m. it was 24 degrees.

      Delete
    2. I've got one in the ground, three in pots. Coldest it got was in the upper teens.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy the opportunity to see your Buddha in front of that big blue leaf; I always liked that display and it's the bright side of this cold weather. Your Koi kids look fat and happy! I get a chill just seeing the icy sheet around them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I hope the only plants you lose are those easily replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm absolutely ready for spring. I hope it's mild and good for planting, to make up for this awful winter and the last two springs with scorching heat waves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of my heucheras in pots are looking pretty poorly too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. A lot of that going on lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That all looks very cold, I hope you get warmer weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peter, I surprised, how it may be so cold in your 8 zone? Poor fishes! I think rhododendrons are ok, will survive although they haven't time to scroll their leaves to frost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was always amazed at our rhododendrons…even with extended days below 0 F., they always came through the cold when we lived in New Hampshire. Hope your lovely garden survives but I like your attitude about plant shopping if need be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the old man and the C! Have you thought of adding a bust of Hemingway? He could be a second old man. I hope that milder weather returns to you soon, and that all your plants survive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.